What are cookies?
Cookies, also known as HTTP cookies, web cookies or browser cookies, are small text files that are sent to and stored on your computer or mobile device through your browser when you visit a website resp. use a mobile application. When you surf the same website later on, the data stored in that cookie can be retrieved by the website in order to notify the website of the last activity. Cookies were designed as a reliable mechanism for websites to remember the status of the website or the previous activity of a certain user. They help us to optimize your visit to the Website, to remember technical choices (e.g. choice of language, newsletter, etc.) and to offer more relevant services and offers. If you wish to consult the Website resp. use it, SENSOLUS encourages you to enable cookies. However, if you choose not to do this, you are always free to disable the cookies.
Types of cookies
- Based on duration:
- Session cookies: These cookies are temporary and expire once you close your browser (or once your session ends).
- Persistent cookies:These cookies remain on your hard drive until you erase them or your browser does, depending on the cookie’s expiration date.
- Based on provenance
- First-party cookies: These cookies are put on your device directly by the website you are visiting.
- Third-party cookies: These cookies are placed on your device, not by the website you are visiting, but by a third party like an advertiser or an analytic system.
- Based on purpose
- Strictly necessary cookies: These cookies are essential for you to browse the website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the site. These cookies will generally be first-party session cookies.
- Preference cookies (or “functional cookies”): These cookies allow a website to remember choices you have made in the past, like what language you prefer, or what your user name and password are so you can automatically log in.
- Statistical cookies (or “analytical cookies”): These cookies collect information about how you use a website, like which pages you visited and which links you clicked on. None of this information can be used to identify you. It is all aggregated and, therefore, anonymized. Their sole purpose is to improve website functions. This includes cookies from third-party analytics services as long as the cookies are for the exclusive use of the owner of the website visited.
- Marketing cookies (or “tracking/targeting cookies”): These cookies track your online activity to help advertisers deliver more relevant advertising or to limit how many times you see an ad. These cookies can share that information with other organizations or advertisers. These are persistent cookies and almost always of third-party provenance.
List of cookies used by Sensolus
Managing & disabling cookies
You can also later in time modify your browser settings to decline cookies and you can also delete cookies that are already installed on your computer or mobile device. There are several possibilities to avoid the storage of cookies. Please visit the websites of the different browsers to learn how you can block the storage of cookies.
Please realize that when you decide to delete all your cookies, you probably will have to fill in all your usernames and passwords again on the websites you visit, where before you did not have to think about them. As already mentioned, cookies have benefits to your surfing experience on the web.
If you want to know more about cookies, please visit the website www.allaboutcookies.org. This website provides more information on cookies, explains in detail how to delete the cookies and shows you how you can allow familiar websites to storage cookies on your computer.